Homestead, Goat Farming, Never Ending Winter

Well, hello there!

I did my very first TikTok today! I don't know if that's a win? Or a cave? Either way, it was fun and I can't wait to make more of my crazy little bleaters. 

I have a feeling that warm-weather toks will be so much more fun! Is it toks? Tiks? Tiktoks? Tikety-tokeroos?

No matter what it's called, I hope you enjoy taking a peek at my goats and my sweet baby girl!

@madmarymcleod #capcut #goatsoftiktok #goats #goatfarm #homestead #inthecountry #goatkids #faintinggoats #livestock #nibblers ♬ original sound - M&M&M


Winter...

This winter has been incredibly rough for us North Dakotans. I'm sure everywhere in the midwest is feeling the pain that comes with mountains of snow every few days. And we're getting pretty stir-crazy. 

This fall, we decided we'd start breeding Boer goats. Well, when we began and brought our first two babies home, the weather was BEAUTIFUL. 

It was forecasted to be a decent winter as well, so we didn't worry too much about it. Now that we're months in and buried under 8 feet of snow...it's getting more and more difficult. However, we are seeing a light at the end of the very bright, snow-covered tunnel. We just have to dig our way to it.

By the first real snowfall, we were 8 goats in. Now we are 10 goats in because we brought home two little rescue fainters: Buck and Wheat. Not a single thought in their precious heads, but I love them both.

See those two little butts? 

That's Buck and Wheat. 

Wanda, one of the first two, is the big-butted gal on the far right. She thinks I'm her mother. 

The fainters do as well, which makes feeding time very difficult. They want to climb into my eyeballs just like toddlers.

So far it's been a fun adventure and I can't wait until next fall when we get to have new babes running around!

We also have two big stinky boys that are VERY ready to meet the girls, but they'll just have to wait!

Gardening:

My friends,
I am going insane not being able to see the ground in my brand-new garden. This last fall we tore down the old pallet fence that had been painted over and over with horrible colors. We replaced it with a beautiful wire and black wood setup and stretched it out a bit.

This is going to be a huge change. I've been planning and replanning my garden map to get the most use out of the space I have set aside.

If we purchase another acre or two this spring, that will be used to plant all different breeds of pumpkins and corn! 

I'm excited for the new planting season! SO excited that I've begun growing tomatoes, peppers, and bean bushes in my kitchen window!

I'll have some fresh veggies before I get the rest of the plants into the ground!

Mental Health:

I think we're all losing our marbles this winter waiting for the thaw that rarely ever comes in March, but we wish for it anyway. 

I've been focusing or trying to focus, on the trip my son and I are taking to Ireland in June. It's an FFA farming trip and I couldn't be more excited. 

I'm sure I've ordered more than I ever needed to, but I'm so pumped that there's no stopping me now. I haven't left the country since before I got married. 

Traveling is something that I was very passionate about growing up, so it was devastating to find out that my husband despised it and airplanes in general. I had always dreamed of being a photographer or a travel writer for National Geographic (it was my favorite magazine) and traveling all over the world to learn about different cultures. The sudden end to my adventures was pretty numbing. But, that's a story for another time.

This is an opportunity for our son that he will never forget, so I'm going to make sure he takes it and he was kind enough to let me join as a chaperone! (I didn't want to invade on his trip if he didn't want me along) I'll be sure to share as many adventures in Ireland and pictures as possible when the time comes!

Ta ta for now:

Well, my blogging friends, I better get back to work. This homestead doesn't homestead itself and I have a few feet of snow to tromp through with handfuls of alfalfa! 

I better get at it!

Until next time.


Check out some other interesting posts:








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How To Stain Wood With Acrylic Paint | Woodworking DIY

Preserving Deer Tails 101

Viking Pie with Ground Pork Chorizo ~ SPICY